Old-Fashioned Apple-Nut Crisp
Apples and nuts are a classic—and healthful—combination, especially when you cut back on the saturated fat that typically tops this sweet treat. Our version is just as delicious, and allows the flavor of the hazelnuts to shine through. A dollop of Vanilla Cream or scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt finishes this homey dessert beautifully.
Great Apple Dessert!
- 5 medium Crisp, tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 3 tsp. Tablespoons granulated sugar, or Splenda Granular
- 1 tbsp. Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon, divided
- 2/3 cup Whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Od-fashioned rolled oats, (not instant)
- 1/2 cup Packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp. Canola oil
- 2 tsp. Frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/3 cup Coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts
Here Are The Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square (or 2-quart) deep baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine apples with granulated sugar (or Splenda), lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss to mix. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine whole-wheat flour, oats, brown sugar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix to blend. Using your fingers (or a fork or pastry blender), cut in butter until evenly distributed and there are no chunks. Stir in oil, apple juice concentrate and nuts; toss well until evenly moistened and clumpy.
Remove the foil from the baking dish and scatter the topping evenly over the apples. Bake uncovered until the topping has browned and the fruit is soft and bubbling, about 30 minutes more. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 274 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Manganese (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat (saturated)
Nutrition Note: Per serving with Splenda: 2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings; 265 calories; 43 g carbohydrate